-->

December 18, 2014

Review of Five Point someone by Chetan Bhagat


 I loved three Idiots and I looved Rancho in it.It is among Amir Khan's best works.


I thought it was one of the best written, the most hilarious movies of all times. I was mentally applauding the scriptwriter for having such a brilliant brain( Maybe , even a little jealous). So, imagine my surprise when I heard that it was based on a book by an author named  Chetan Bhagat. And I was Like " who".



Then I had to read Five point Someone. I bought Five Point Someone and finished it in one sitting. It had a simple minimalistic style, no ornate language and a very beautiful heroine who just happened to be the Professor's daughter. But, the book was disapointing in a sense because I read it after seeing "3 Idiots". The film maybe took 10 % from the book, that's all.


Click to But this Bestseller


Set in IIT, in the early 90's, Five Point Someone portrays the lives of the protagonist Hari and his two friends Ryan and Alok. It explores the darker side of IIT, one in which students having worked for years to make it into the institute - struggle to maintain their grades, keep their friends and have some kind of life outside studies.


But that aside. The book is well written and well edited. I didn't like the cover but I loved the characters. They are very Three- dimensional and it is very easy to imagine them. The language is fluid and as he takes on the roller coaster ride through IIT. We experience each moment, each joy, each sorrow as if it's our friends being hurt and fictional characters of a book.

In a short it had all I wanted in a summer read. 

Also I loved the fact that the ending and the relationship between our lead pairs were realistic. I even sympathised with the poor professor, the dad of the heroine. And me being student, you should know it's really hard. 
There was another major factor which made Hari, the lead, so much more likeable. It was the fact that a chapter was allowed for Ryan and Alok to tell us about Hari, which gives us a glimpse into his past and tells us in few precise sentences. Why he is the way, he is.

On the whole I found it to be a very enjoyable read , a light one. Chetan Bhagat books aren't expensive so you should definitely give it a try.

Rating : 3.8 / 5

 He is an Indian author, columnist, screenwriter and speaker. Bhagat is the author of bestselling novels. Bhagat writes op-ed columns for popular English and Hindi newspapers, including The Times of India and Dainik Bhaskar focusing on youth, career  and issue based on national developement. In 2008,  The New York Time cited Bhagat as "the biggest selling English language novelist in India’s history
                                                                                   Amazon Page : Chetan Bhagat


Show Comments: OR

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love hear about your favourite books.Suggestions please.